Featured post

Boxing Picks 2024- Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou (March 8th)

Knockout Chaos comes to our television screens on Friday evening with another big card put together by Saudi Arabia, who continue to have a ...

Sunday 1 April 2012

Wrestlemania 28- The Rock v John Cena

Tonight the 'showcase of the immortals' is coming to us on Pay-Per-View, and I have to admit I am looking forward to it immensely.

I actually wanted to go to Miami for the event (and stick around for a Miami Heat game or two), but I was let down by a couple of people who said they wanted to go but then decided to bottle...

It might have worked out for the best anyway as it looks like Wrestlemania 29 is going to be an even bigger event with a bit of luck, and it will be in New York City (well at the Metcalf Stadium in New Jersey) and that means a chance to see my Knicks so I am not so disappointed.

There will be a lot of people out there who will smirk at professional wrestling, but I have been a fan for as long as I remember, although not quite so interested in the last couple of years. I have never been to a Wrestlemania event and it hasn't really been at the forefront of my mind to do so as it seemed I had missed my window with the likes of The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Brock Lesnar all moving on to do different things in their professional lives.

The turning point was the return of The Rock last year and I have been focused on seeing some of my heroes in action for what is likely to be the final times.

Rumour has it that Lesnar has actually signed a one year contract that will be beginning today and encompassing the event next year in New York, while Steve Austin may also be making his return to the ring for the first time in 9 years at the same event.


Some of my biggest childhood memories are of watching wrestling videos- I can remember staying round my Nan's house, but pestering my old man to take me and my brother to the video store so we could hire a number of wrestling tapes that would keep us occupied for a few hours.

I was a Hulk Hogan fan growing up (it was always either him or the Ultimate Warrior), and I still remember the first time I saw The Undertaker on TV and actually being afraid of the 'dead man' that seemed impervious to pain.

We were even fortunate enough to be taken to Summerslam 1992 at Wembley and there is still something comforting in watching two men beat the hell out of each other in the name of entertainment.

Some people laugh at these guys, but less face facts, they are great athletes... It's not easy being thrown around all over the place and that is backed up by the amount of injuries these professionals can suffer and for that you have to have respect for them.

Fortunately, Brock Lesnar's successes in the UFC have also highlighted how tough these wrestlers are so I really think they have to be given the respect they deserve.


Tonight's event at Sun Life Stadium looks like being one of the better Wrestlemania events in recent years, with the match 'one year in the making' between The Rock and John Cena being the main event.

I think that is going to live up to the hype as the two men involved are true professionals that will have worked hard to make sure the match is one that will sit in history alongside the momentous ones like Hogan-Andre and Hogan-The Rock, the ones that bring generations together.

So what do I think will happen tonight? Well, I think there are a few matches that look fairly obvious to call, although they will be fascinating to watch, for example I think the Undertaker beats Triple H in the Cell.

I think Shawn Michaels may just tease becoming involved in the match, but I think he will steer clear for the most part.

The 'Diva's' match is filler and I don't really care who wins.


I think we will see Chris Jericho find a way to beat CM Punk, I have a feeling Daniel Bryan may find a way to retain his title against Seamus, while Big Show will beat Cody Rhodes but not see a change in the title.

Team Jonny will beat Team Teddy in the battle for the GM position and Randy Orton will beat Kane...


And that leaves us with the big one- Rock or Cena... I have a feeling that, despite being called 'once in a lifetime', that this will not be the only time the pair clash and so I am leaning towards a Rock win in a pulsating contest.

I can see them setting a rematch sometime later on this year and having a rubber match at Wrestlemania 29 in New York next year. That's the only reason I can see Rock winning this match, otherwise it makes the most sense to let Cena go over.


My biggest question tonight is whether or not 'Here Comes the Pain' as rumours persist that Brock Lesnar is either making his return to TV tonight or on Monday Night Raw tomorrow.


It doesn't matter, because for one night, I am sitting back and enjoying the show that was a big part of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment