Featured post

Boxing Picks 2024- Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou (March 8th)

Knockout Chaos comes to our television screens on Friday evening with another big card put together by Saudi Arabia, who continue to have a ...

Saturday 29 December 2012

College Football Bowl Games 2012

The first week of the Bowl Games are not the most interesting, but it is around ten days before the National Championship Game when things start picking up. This is the time when some of the bigger schools and the more interesting Bowl Games start taking shape.

I'll be making my picks throughout the next ten days and only when I think there is a school worth taking. My full reasons will be given with the picks, as always, but this has been a difficult year for me in the NCAA.


December 29th
Syracuse Orange v West Virginia Mountaineers Pick: I like the Syracuse Orange to keep this game close enough to cover the spread for the following reasons:

First, the West Virginia Offense gets all the media attention, but the Syracuse Offense is under-rated and can certainly score a lot of points against this Mountaineers Defense.


Second, the Orange are well accustomed to seeing this West Virginia team and they have made life extremely difficult for Geno Smith in two previous meetings, only allowing 3 passing touchdowns but also creating 5 interceptions.

Third, the Mountaineers have failed to cover the spread in their last 3 Bowl Games when they have been set as the favourite.

Fourth, getting more than a field goal in this game looks fairly generous as the team that has the ball last could very easily win this game outright.


Oregon State Beavers v Texas Longhorns Pick: I like the Texas Longhorns to cover the spread in this one for the following reasons:

First, I think the Longhorns will rally together after a couple of their players were sent home for breaking curfew and with allegations of sexual assault floating around.

Second, I also believe the Texas Defense can make a couple of turnovers that will give them a chance to cover the spread even if they don't win outright.

Third, Oregon State have just begun to struggle down the stretch in the regular season and I am not sure they deserve to be more than a field goal favourite in this one.


January 1st
Michigan Wolverines v South Carolina Gamecocks Pick: I like the SEC's South Carolina Gamecocks to win and cover for the following reasons:

First, I think the SEC is faster and more athletic than the Big Ten and I believe South Carolina will find a way to slow down Devin Gardner and Denard Robinson and do something similar to what Alabama did on opening day of the season.

Second, I also believe the Gamecocks are better on both sides of the ball and have the playmakers to get things done.

Third, the Wolverines struggled against the best teams they played this season and South Carolina are in amongst those kind of schools and should do enough to take this game away from them.


Nebraska Cornhuskers v Georgia Bulldogs Pick: I like the Georgia Bulldogs to cover the spread in this one for the following reasons:

First, I think Mark Richt will have the Bulldogs fired up despite their heartbreaking loss in the SEC Championship Game.


Second, similar to what I said in the game above, I think the SEC are too athletic and too fast for the Big Ten teams.

Third, the Cornhuskers were crushed by the South Carolina Gamecocks in a Bowl Game last season and I don't have a lot of faith in a team that was crushed as comprehensively as they were against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game.


Wisconsin Badgers v Stanford Cardinal Pick: I'll be backing the Stanford Cardinal to win this game and cover the spread for the following reasons:

First, I believe the Cardinal will have more success on both sides of the ball in this one and that should allow them to win this by a touchdown in my opinion.


Second, I also believe the consistency in the coaching staff at Stanford will see them home in this one.

Third, I am not a fan of the Big Ten and I do think Wisconsin will have a hard time in this one and likely to commit a key turnover late in the game that allow the Cardinal to cover this spread.


January 3rd
Oregon Ducks v Kansas State Wildcats Pick: Both of these schools are very similar in the way they their Offenses look to dictate games, but I just think there is enough about the Oregon Ducks to think they win and cover the spread.

I think this will have a similar feel to the Baylor-Kansas State game in which the Wildcats were just bludgeoned by a team that could score at will and I think Oregon will do the same here.

The added incentive in performing for Chip Kelly in what could be his final game at Oregon before moving into the NFL Head Coach ranks means I like the Ducks in this one.


January 4th
Texas A&M Aggies v Oklahoma Sooners Pick: It is such a shame that we have lost half a point on this line, but I am still going to back the Oklahoma Sooners with the head start in what looks like a really close game.

Johnny Manziel has been phenomenal this season, but there is a chance that Landry Jones can outshine him in this one as I think the latter will want to prove to NFL scouts that he is ready for the next level.

Oklahoma also have a strong recent record against the Aggies and I think Bob Stoops will have got a good game plan together with the time he has had to prepare for this game. I'd be surprised if the Sooners are blown out and the 3 points could be a lot at the end of the night.


January 7th
Notre Dame Fighting Irish v Alabama Crimson Tide Pick: Brian Kelly has openly talked about building his Notre Dame team in a similar manner to what he sees of Nick Saban's Alabama Crimson Tide and they do look closely matched in the way they want to play this game.

Both teams will look to run the ball effectively and put their Quarter Back in a position to make some plays and manage the Offense to enough points and then let their Defense take over.

Both Defenses are amongst the best in the nation and at first glance, 9.5 points looks a big spread. However, I think the experience of Alabama and the fact that they are a lot more battle hardened having played in the SEC all season and I think they are going to win the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

It'll likely be close for much of the contest, but I'll look for Alabama to make the plays that leads them to a 20-10 win.


MY PICKS: Syracuse Orange + 3.5 Points @ 2.00 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
Texas Longhorns + 3.5 Points @ 1.95 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
South Carolina - 4.5 Points @ 1.95 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
Georgia Bulldogs - 8 Points @ 1.95 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
Stanford Cardinal - 5 Points @ 2.00 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
Oregon Ducks - 7.5 Points @ 1.95 Pinnacle (1 Unit)
Oklahoma Sooners + 3 Points @ 1.92 Ladbrokes (1 Unit)
Alabama Crimson Tide - 9.5 Points @ 1.92 Ladbrokes (1 Unit)

No comments:

Post a Comment